Last year a number of my friends left both the public and private school settings to begin their journey to homeschool. With that came criticism from so many, just as it did when Dan and I left a private school to begin homeschooling our children. People ask new homeschoolers all the time, "Why are you homeschooling?" It is a valid question that many people ask because they're curious. It's a question some ask because they think a parent is not capable. It's also a question asked by those administrators who are unhappy that the numbers in their school are now dropping at an astounding rate while the number of homeschoolers climbs every day.
So, why do many of us homeschool?
Homeschooling is what happens when God convicts you to do something different from the norm. Those who homeschool don't do so because it's the next fad. I don't know anyone who signs up for the more difficult option just because their friends are doing it. We do it because we feel God calling us to raise our children in a different way. Is he calling all Christians to do so? Maybe. I can say, he is calling his people by the masses right now. Left and right Christians are being convicted to homeschool their children. He's calling His people out of both public and private schools at a rate that we have never seen before and not one of us fully knows why. What we do know is that our conviction to homeschool should not be interfered upon by someone else who thinks we are incapable, untrained, or inadequate. NO ONE. I repeat. NO ONE is more capable of raising and teaching your children than you are. No one on the face of the earth can love and care for your child the way you do. I don't need a 4 year degree to teach me how to manage my family, how to teach 1+1 or even Chemistry (a class I never took), or challenge them to think beyond their current level of knowledge. All I need is to obey.
If God calls you to homeschool, NOTHING should stand in your way to be obedient to his calling. Money, fear, and doubt are not reasons to prevent us from homeschooling. Just like anything else in life, if God calls you, you MUST go.
The first question to ask is, is he calling you? The second question to ask is, will you be obedient?
Go. Be obedient.
No comments:
Post a Comment