When you tell someone that you are living on one income, they tend to assume the bread winner must, of course, have a significant income. Oh how untrue that is for so many of us.
For many years, Dan and I have had two incomes. His full time job and my very busy wedding photography business. It enabled us to live comfortably, but it was never what we wanted. We both wanted me to stay home full time, homeschool our children, and live comfortably on one income. That seemed like a big challenge that we had no idea how to accomplish.
I kind of had the the mindset that I lived in the best of two worlds. I was able to work nights and weekends and still homeschool my children. The truth is, it was exhausting, hard, and wasn't what I wanted for our family.
About two years ago, we both felt strongly that God wanted us to train us photographers that could take over our business so I could completely step away, wiping our hands clean from a second income. We had NO IDEA if or how that was possible, but we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was what we needed to do. God brought forth a couple that Dan and I both adore. Their abilities grew quickly and then I became pregnant with number 5. That's when we knew it was time to close that chapter of our lives.
God provided ways for us to pay off debt, save money, buy a house, and quit our business. All of that in one year. I still am not even sure how we were able to do all of that in a year. Now, here we sit in our own home, with one income, and expecting baby number 5.
All of those years with two incomes and we could not pay off our debt or save for a house, let alone buy a house. It wasn't until we committed to closing that chapter, that God made it all happen in such a short period of time. That is nothing short of God's hand on our lives and our finances. It has been a blessing to us to watch God move mountains.
So, as we embark on our one income life, my encouragement to you is this:
If you doubt that you can homeschool because of finances, but you feel God calling you to homeschool, I strongly encourage you to take a big step of faith. In those moments of obedience, God provides. The fear of finances should NEVER stop us from being obedient to the things God tells us to do. It isn't a matter of how will you make ends meet. It is a matter of will you let GOD make ends meet for your family?
No comments:
Post a Comment