Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm not a Supermom!

Has anyone ever said to you, "You're supermom!"  Or maybe you have called a family member, friend, or stranger "supermom".  




I have to admit, I cringe whenever I hear those words escape the mouth of someone who stands in awe of me for whatever reason.  Of course they are well intentioned comments, but true?  Not really.  

It breaks my heart when that comment comes to me from another mom.  Especially when that mom feels down on herself because of something I do/did.  I don't want a mom to look at me and wish they could do what I could.  I don't want someone to feel down on themselves for whatever reason.  I definitely want all moms to just be inspired or to glean ideas.  

My heart aches when that comment is followed by the rolling of eyes.  I just want to scream, "I'm not any better than anyone!  Don't you see?  I fail too!"  

The truth is, that mom who rolls her eyes, is no less amazing than the rest.  We all have something great in us that we are good at.   Just because someone is better at multitasking, playing with her children, or preparing a better birthday party, it doesn't mean she is a better mom or even Supermom.  It just means she's good at something.

A lot of times, I hear the comment "You're a supermom" from a mom who has less children than I do.  If that thought has ever rolled across your mind about someone with more children, just remember this fact, she struggled when she only had one child or even two children.  Each season in a moms life brings fourth different challenges.  Each season is difficult in it's own right.  Being a mom is NEVER "easy," but it is always worth it.

Recently I heard someone say, "she never comes empty handed" about a friend of theirs.  The comments that followed were ones of annoyance, in a sense, because that mom didn't feel she "measured up" in some way.  My question is, why do we have to joke about women like that and roll our eyes?  That women is doing the talent God gave her.  She does it to show you love, not to make you feel bad.

What about the mom who always comes empty handed, but she ALWAYS comes!  She may not have time or the gifting to bring you something, but she does have the gifting to be there for you.

My point is, we're all different.  We have different giftings and instead of beating ourselves up or each other up, we need to start showing appreciation.  We need to realize that the "over achieving" mom is really just doing all she knows.  She's living life.

So when you get annoyed by that "Supermom", just remember, she fails too.  She yells at her kids, fails to get things done, doesn't spend enough time with her husband, etc.  We all struggle.  You're not alone!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment